Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas Wonder



So I have been a little preoccupied with flowers at the flower shop this holiday season. But I was determined to have some fresh flowers in the house before my family arrived - well at least before Christmas dinner! Our home was filled with the voices and song of all our children and grandchildren, my father and my sister, Peg and her family. Wow! It was wonderful. So much wrapping paper and Poteca (our traditional Christmas morning bread - my daughters actually made three while I was at work on Christmas eve!) and hot chocolate!
Watching little ones open gifts and simply being together was perfect for me. My dad said several times how it was a little like heaven to be surrounded by family. I look forward to the time when we will be together in Heaven as family.

There were a few special memories made - Ryan arranging a guided tour of antique cars owned by the Austins (owners of the Allison Inn) for his Grandpa. We would catch my Dad reminiscing during the next few days about the experience. Amy getting bonked by her son and his new plastic bat as soon as it was out of the wrapper (totally an accident) - he has quite a swing for a 19 month old, little girls twirling in their delightful tutus made by Alie and of course the second swan dives into the Willamette by members of my family. Ryan pulled a fast one - leading them to believe he had acquiesced but he fooled us all!


Another first - not having roast turkey for dinner - instead we had a pork loin roast stuffed with apricots and prunes along with some of our family's favorite traditions: Broccoli Puff and Sweet Potato casserole. We turned into the stuffed pigs.


We did have flowers for the table though - simple cubes with a few roses and Christmas greens and ribbon - a Christmas gift, sort of.






Enough about flowers - my family is the most important part of my life. Thank you all for being here. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Cheers and good day to you! Just wanted to note that you do have some lovely arrangements... and thanks for sharing! Thanks for the mention of our hotel too... when I first came on board and was working with the Austin's, I cannot tell you what sort of treat it was to experience those vehicles. What love and dedication in his upkeep and restoration! Very cool.... Happy New Year, and cheers to you and yours. If you ever need anything, I am the online concierge for the Allison. So don't hesitate to ask questions! =) michael@theallison.com

    ReplyDelete